Ryan Fitzpatrick Traded to Jets

lounap23

Legend
Jet Fanatics
Parcells says:
You can't build a Championship team through FRee agency but you can add value with the right role players with 2nd tier Free Agents... 1st tier guys don't always pan out...

QB's don't grow on trees can't call 1800-Get a QB

Wouldn't throw out Geno... Seen a lot of progress and didn't seem the right development and was thrown to the wolves. Wasn't supported well... No offensive weapons before.

In his 3rd year its gonna be a tough transition for any QB to have 3 offenses in 3 years

Parcells has confidence in Bowles....

He likes Genos talent over any QB in this years draft..

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Parcells says:
You can't build a Championship team through FRee agency but you can add value with the right role players with 2nd tier Free Agents... 1st tier guys don't always pan out...

QB's don't grow on trees can't call 1800-Get a QB

Wouldn't throw out Geno... Seen a lot of progress and didn't seem the right development and was thrown to the wolves. Wasn't supported well... No offensive weapons before.

In his 3rd year its gonna be a tough transition for any QB to have 3 offenses in 3 years

Parcells has confidence in Bowles....

Thanks for the update.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Parcells says:

Thats why I've been so reluctant to cash in our chips on Geno.

Not too long ago it was virtually unheard of to start a rookie QB in year one. It happened on occasion, but rarely were the results any good, Dan Marino was one of those rare rookie QB's who really excelled in his first year, and thats from a rare group that even started in year one. Ordinarily those guys carried the clip board and did way more listening and watching than talking and playing. For sure that would have been the case with Geno who was coming from a spread offense in college, rarely took a snap from under center, and had a lot to learn about the NFL game.

That said, rarely has a young player been thrown into the fire like Geno with a worse collection of skill position players on offense, so its not like he had any help out there either.

I'm not making excuses, for sure he's been bad and his development has left much to be desired, but this kid has a lot of physical talent and I've been beating that drum for a long time, still am, because the kid has good size, can make plays with his legs when necessary, and he throws a nice tight spiral with zip, he can really spin it, even through the swirling winds at the Meadowlands that can be treacherous in Nov. and Dec.

If he doesn't cut it then so be it, but I'm not ready declare it over just yet, unless we have a chance to draft Mariota, then we have to take the QB because there's no reason to be confident Geno is the guy, but if we miss on Mariota, I'll definitely be rooting for Geno to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick. Too me there's a much bigger upside to Geno and I'm not interested in just being mediocre. The idea of possibly going 9-7 with a journeyman just doesn't excite me.

Jet Fan RI

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Thats why I've been so reluctant to cash our chips on Geno.

Not too long ago it was virtually unheard of to start a rookie QB in year one. It happened on occasion, but rarely were the results any good, Dan Marino was one of those rare rookie QB's who really excelled in his first year, and thats from a rare group that even started in year one. Ordinarily those guys carried the clip board and did way more listening and watching than talking and playing. For sure that would have been the case with Geno who was coming from a spread offense in college, rarely took a snap from under center, and had a lot to learn about the NFL game.

That said, rarely has a young player been thrown into the fire like Geno with a worse collection of skill position players on offense, so its not like he had any help out there either.

I'm not making excuses, for sure he's been bad and his development has left much to be desired, but this kid has a lot of physical talent and I've been beating that drum for a long time, still am, because the kid has good size, can make plays with his legs when necessary, and he throws a nice tight spiral with zip, he can really spin it, even through the swirling winds at the Meadowlands that can be treacherous in Nov. and Dec.

If he doesn't cut it then so be it, but I'm not ready declare it over just yet, unless we have a chance to draft Mariota, then we have to take the QB because there's no reason to be confident Geno is the guy, but if we miss on Mariota, I'll definitely be rooting for Geno to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick. Too me there's a much bigger upside to Geno and I'm not interested in just being mediocre. The idea of possibly going 9-7 with a journeyman just doesn't excite me.

Agree with everything you said except for that.

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Agree with everything you said except for that.
I agree also. Whether Mariota is drafted or not, Fitzgerald is a very good insurance plan and stop gap. Whatever you want to call him but that doesn't mean I want him starting over Geno, Mariota or any rookie QB we draft. If Fitzgerald wins the job then so be it but I'm not rooting for it.

Jet Fan RI

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I agree also. Whether Mariota is drafted or not, Fitzgerald is a very good insurance plan and stop gap. Whatever you want to call him but that doesn't mean I want him starting over Geno, Mariota or any rookie QB we draft. If Fitzgerald wins the job then so be it but I'm not rooting for it.

Personally, I do want to see him starting over Mariota, because I don't want Mariota. If he's available at the 6th pick, trade down. If nobody else wants him either, then pass on him just like picks 1-5 did.

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Personally, I do want to see him starting over Mariota, because I don't want Mariota. If he's available at the 6th pick, trade down. If nobody else wants him either, then pass on him just like picks 1-5 did.
So what do you want them to do if the Jets don't draft Mariota? Draft Hundley, Petty or Grayson in the 2nd or 3rd or not draft a QB period? Then Geno will be fighting it out with Fitzgerald and Simms alone. I rather the Jets draft Mariota and have him fighting it out with Geno and Fitzgerald for starter.

Jet Fan RI

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
So what do you want them to do if the Jets don't draft Mariota? Draft Hundley, Petty or Grayson in the 2nd or 3rd or not draft a QB period? Then Geno will be fighting it out with Fitzgerald and Simms alone. I rather the Jets draft Mariota and have him fighting it out with Geno and Fitzgerald for starter.

I would prefer they draft a QB in the mid-rounds. Don't have a strong preference for any specific guy. But I do have a strong aversion to drafting a Heisman QB. Almost a lock to be a bust.

M

Mainejet

Love this move so long as they bring in a young stud to compete with Geno and Fitz. Fitz is a tough savvy vet that could easily get a higher string designation then Geno. Even if this move is all they plan on doing at the QB spot (I sure hope not), it's still great because it will force Geno to get better or die. It will bring out the best in him.

My hope is the Jets grab Mariota now. That would be the icing on the cake and give Jets fans a LOT of excitement to root for.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I'd love Mariota, but only if he makes it to #6 . I wouldn't mortgage everything to get him.

If he's not there, go pass rusher or OL in the first round, or trade down, and take a Petty, Grayson, or Mannion later in the draft.

lounap23

Legend
Jet Fanatics
I'd love Mariota, but only if he makes it to #6 . I wouldn't mortgage everything to get him.

If he's not there, go pass rusher or OL in the first round, or trade down, and take a Petty, Grayson, or Mannion later in the draft.

I agree on Mariota and pass rusher but I don't want an OL at 6... I'd trade back for that...way back... Rather get the pass rusher or one of the WR that can take over as the #1 for Marshall in 2 years. Before signing Revis and Skrine I would have been cool with Waynes too but not now

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Love this move so long as they bring in a young stud to compete with Geno and Fitz. Fitz is a tough savvy vet that could easily get a higher string designation then Geno. Even if this move is all they plan on doing at the QB spot (I sure hope not), it's still great because it will force Geno to get better or die. It will bring out the best in him.

My hope is the Jets grab Mariota now. That would be the icing on the cake and give Jets fans a LOT of excitement to root for.
I agree

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
I would prefer they draft a QB in the mid-rounds. Don't have a strong preference for any specific guy. But I do have a strong aversion to drafting a Heisman QB. Almost a lock to be a bust.
Understood. Only thing is I believe Mariota is the only rookie I believe can beat Geno and maybe even Fitzgerald out as game one starter. Winston ofcourse could but he's gone to Tampa. The rest of the rookies I doubt it and I will admit I don't know a lot about any of these rookie QBs.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
The Fitzpatrick signing brings stability to an unstable position. He is steady, if unspectacular. Geno is a roller coaster, high ups and low downs. Fitzpatrick is a Sunday drive.

I think it's a good match. If Fitzpatrick wins the job, he's certainly put up good numbers before, like last year and in his time with Gailey. If Geno wins the job, it will mean some of Fitzpatrick's cerebral approach will begin rubbing off on him. Either way, I feel like the QB play will at worst be mediocre, which with this defense and ground game could be good enough.