Tour de France

Golden Rott

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
The Tour de France kicks off today with a short time trial. Does anybody else give a sh!t? Couple of American riders that could challenge the favorites. From Yahoo -- here is their 10 reasons to watch:

Here are 10 reasons to watch this year's Tour, which features six new stage cities:
1. The course is 3,360 kilometers long (about 2,087.8 miles for Americans). For some perspective, this is the same distance between New York City and Mexico City.

2. The event has 21 stages with only two rest days, which makes The Tour de France arguably the most hardcore endurance test in the world.

3. The crashes are spectacularly horrific. Riders can reach speeds of 50-60 km/h. Crashing at that speed would be like driving at 40 mph and then jumping out of the car with nothing besides some thin shorts, a jersey and a helmet to protect you.

4. The fans that line each course range from ecstatic spectators ringing cowbells constantly to crazies who like to run alongside the cyclists (many times they're either in costumes or wearing some form of ridiculous clothing).

5. These riders aren't your average businessmen biking to work. Cycling may be the only professional sport where riders are permitted to hit fans, who have a tendency to grab or harass the bikers as they past by.

6. The four biggest names in cycling — Nairo Quintana, Chris Froome, Vincenzo Nibali and Alberto Contador — are all going to be competing in the race. This doesn't mean that any of them will win necessarily, but these are the four best cyclists in the world, so they'll be tremendously exciting to watch.

7. If the Big Four don't win, there are several other lesser-known riders who could easily grab the yellow jersey. A well-known fact is that France hasn't had an overall winner since 1985, but that could change with young guys like Thibaut Pinot, Romain Bardet and Warren Barguil, who will be making his debut. Additionally, there are veterans like Mark Cavendish, perhaps the best sprinter in the competition, and Jean-Christophe Peraud, who was the runner-up last year. The American duo of Andrew Talansky and Tejay van Garderen will also be among the favorites to upset the Big Four.

8. There are five different competitions that go on every day. The most basic is the stage winner. But there are also the competitions for the yellow jersey (fastest overall time), the green jersey (best sprinter), the white jersey (best young rider) and the polka dot jersey (best climber).

9. Each stage – nine flat, three hilly, seven mountainous and two time trials – is different from the last, so there's a lot of strategy that has to go into tackling the event.

10. Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen have been the commentators for the race for 28 years, believed to be the longest running duo in sports television. They're also two of the funniest sportscasters but they also make sure to keep viewers informed about everything.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Sometimes the good guys are not quite as good as we thought at the time, especially in cycling.

I figured I would probably be alone in this thread. My wife's cousin is a professional rider -- not at the level of the Tour, but he rides with some of the guys that compete in the Tour. I also used to ride myself, nowhere near that level, but I did compete in some amateur triathlons many many moons ago.

I will follow it -- I enjoy the drama that plays out in the Alps over the next 3 weeks. Besides, its a slow time for sports anyway. Between the Tour, Wimbledon, and the British Open, my attention turns to Europe for a few weeks each July.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
I followed closely for many years from the LeMond days through Armstrongs. Once the doping scandal hit home with Lance I lost much of my interest and only watch if I stumble on to a race these days.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
I followed closely for many years from the LeMond days through Armstrongs. Once the doping scandal hit home with Lance I lost much of my interest and only watch if I stumble on to a race these days.

Good stage today. Couple of the favorites lost some time in the wind and the rain.

If you used to watch LeMond in the 80s, did you ever see ESPN's 30 for 30 on Lemond and Bernard Hinault? Great stuff -- Lemond was a great champion, too bad he got overshadowed by the rise and fall of Armstrong.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Good stage today. Couple of the favorites lost some time in the wind and the rain.

If you used to watch LeMond in the 80s, did you ever see ESPN's 30 for 30 on Lemond and Bernard Hinault? Great stuff -- Lemond was a great champion, too bad he got overshadowed by the rise and fall of Armstrong.
I have not seen the shows but I know LeMond spends a lot of time now advocating against PEDs and loves to bash Armstrong.

I caught bits and pieces of todays stage. Even with the weather challenges I enjoy mountain stages more than a dead flat one.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
I have not seen the shows but I know LeMond spends a lot of time now advocating against PEDs and loves to bash Armstrong.

I caught bits and pieces of todays stage. Even with the weather challenges I enjoy mountain stages more than a dead flat one.

The 30 for 30 was on the rivalry between Hinault and Lemond in the late 80s --might have been some discussion of drug use/blood doping/Armstrong toward the end of the show.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Some brutal crashes in stage 3. I wonder how the riders get up after some of those spills.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Watching it now. Just brutal crash -- don't think I have ever seen them stop the race before.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
First week in the books. A couple of spectacular crashes. Two different race leaders crash and lose their yellow jersey. American Tejay Ven Garderen is in 3rd place, 13 seconds back.

And the race has not hit the mountains yet, where the real racing begins.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
First week in the books. A couple of spectacular crashes. Two different race leaders crash and lose their yellow jersey. American Tejay Ven Garderen is in 3rd place, 13 seconds back.

And the race has not hit the mountains yet, where the real racing begins.

The race always comes down to the mountain stages. It's nice to see Tejay up with the leaders he is a decent climber and is on a good team

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
The race always comes down to the mountain stages. It's nice to see Tejay up with the leaders he is a decent climber and is on a good team

I doubt he can stay with guys like Nibali and Contador in the mountains, but still a top 5 finish would be really nice.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
First mountain stage in the books and Chris Froome establishing himself as the favorite. Tejay still in 2nd, but almost 3 minutes back. Nibali, defending champ, is in trouble & Contador losing time as well.

Curious to see what the next two Pyrenees stages bring.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
First mountain stage in the books and Chris Froome establishing himself as the favorite. Tejay still in 2nd, but almost 3 minutes back. Nibali, defending champ, is in trouble & Contador losing time as well.

Curious to see what the next two Pyrenees stages bring.
Thanks for the update I have lost track the past few days. Happy to see Tejay is still podium eligible.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Tough break for Tejay. He couldn't shake off his illness fast enough to get the strength he needed for stage 17. I really thought we would see him on the podium in the end.

Sucks also that Froome is now having to fight off Lance comparisons and doping allegations.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Just watching the race now -- terrible break for Tejay. He was having a great Tour up until today. Had not heard about the Froome allegations.