Around The NFL

NCgreen12

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Draft picks are at a premium, even 2nd rounders. Don't think anyone will give up a second for Snacks, especially since he is not a pass rusher. If they do, Kendrick Ellis is no slouch against the run. Doubt they give us extra picks in the draft
BTW - we also have an option to match a proposed contract from another team. The Pats don't have a lot of room to give Snacks anything we can't match.

Bronx

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Nose tackes do provide interior pass rush. Push up the middle is critical in making QBs "move their feet " and uncomfortable in the pocket. Kris Jenkins was great at that. Snacks is a pure run stuffer

NCgreen12

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Just got to wonder what's going through MM's head right now. He's being turned back at the alter (at least from what's being reported) by players we absolutely needed this off season (Jackson, Franklin, Iupati). Maybe his inexperience is showing in figuring out how to win these battles. Feeling a little like last year in that I'm tying to be patient and give the benefit of the doubt but starting to get an itchy trigger finger.

F

flgreen

:scarface-smiley-emo
The natives are restless, and we haven't even seen day 1 of FA. I hope we don't lose any preseason games or all hell will break loose.

LOL

Yeah. Your right. This Snacks thing just really pissed me off. Not blaming Macc and Bowles, I guess I'm the first one but I have Graves in my cross hairs.

J

Jet Setter

:scarface-smiley-emo

LOL

Yeah. Your right. This Snacks thing just really pissed me off. Not blaming Macc and Bowles, I guess I'm the first one but I have Graves in my cross hairs.

If you are giving the GM a free pass, you're not being fair. He would bless any such decision.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Can't help but wonder what kind of an effect the Jets dealing with Snacks is going to have on his team mates, and potential FA's

Here is a player that was a walk on FA. Hasn't made any real money yet. Has dominated against the run. Been a great locker room guy. He's in line for a small (by NFL NT standards) bit of reward.

The Jets who have Over $50,000,000 (When Harvin is gone) are trying to squeeze him. His earned a big raise. And he's in his prime and will get better. Other players will notice how the Jets treat their own who have done an exceptional job. Snacks will remember this next year.

As I said before I didn't get upset about FA, because I didn't know their game plan. Their game plan here is clear. Put a core player at risk to save a million dollars.

This is a very bad plan.

Edit: I think the culprit here is Graves. This is some thing that would be in his department. He's the cap guy

he got a 2nd round tender, which is the 2nd best tender he could have gotten. this doesn't preclude a bigger contract extension or matching any deal he gets in FA. he's making veteran minimum and just received a nice bump in pay.

i disagree with only giving him a 2nd instead of a 1st round tender, but let's not make it like they just insulted snacks. what they did do is leave themselves a little vulnerable to losing him. but snacks is seeing his pay go up significantly.

F

flgreen

he got a 2nd round tender, which is the 2nd best tender he could have gotten. this doesn't preclude a bigger contract extension or matching any deal he gets in FA. he's making veteran minimum and just received a nice bump in pay.

i disagree with only giving him a 2nd instead of a 1st round tender, but let's not make it like they just insulted snacks. what they did do is leave themselves a little vulnerable to losing him. but snacks is seeing his pay go up significantly.

I don't disagree with your point. " but snacks is seeing his pay go up significantly". Yeah. 2.2 million is a big pay raise. I also agree with another of your points
" what they did do is leave themselves a little vulnerable to losing him". IMO this is really an un-necessary risk. Not only that, they could still retain him, and easily retain him at the cost of about 7 million, if the Pats decide to play a no lose game.

Maybe more than that, I don't like the message it delivers. The DL is the core of this team. Snacks is the core of that DL. I think they are causing a lot of suspicion on that DL. I believe players do notice that kind of stuff when their contracts come up.

Jackson got like 8.5 million with his old team. Maxwell got 10+ in FA. Arguably Jackson is better.

This is a whole new CS-FO. I think they could have sent a strong message---You over perform, you get paid--- Snacks earned the extra million

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
I don't disagree with your point. " but snacks is seeing his pay go up significantly". Yeah. 2.2 million is a big pay raise. I also agree with another of your points
" what they did do is leave themselves a little vulnerable to losing him". IMO this is really an un-necessary risk. Not only that, they could still retain him, and easily retain him at the cost of about 7 million, if the Pats decide to play a no lose game.

Maybe more than that, I don't like the message it delivers. The DL is the core of this team. Snacks is the core of that DL. I think they are causing a lot of suspicion on that DL. I believe players do notice that kind of stuff when their contracts come up.

Jackson got like 8.5 million with his old team. Maxwell got 10+ in FA. Arguably Jackson is better.

This is a whole new CS-FO. I think they could have sent a strong message---You over perform, you get paid--- Snacks earned the extra million

Its a little mixed message..taking care of David Harris and then this.....

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
If someone else signs Snacks, you just match it. It doesn't seem like that big a deal. I doubt anyone signs him for more than the Jets can, or would, pay. This just gives them a little downward flexibility with his deal.

But it's not like any team can sign him with the Jets not having a chance to match.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Draft picks are at a premium, even 2nd rounders. Don't think anyone will give up a second for Snacks, especially since he is not a pass rusher. If they do, Kendrick Ellis is no slouch against the run. Doubt they give us extra picks in the draft

Kendrick is a very nice player. If we lost Snacks, I'd feel safe if we resigned Ellis to replace him. Remember with what you say above, Pats pick last in the 2nd rd, it's like a 3rd rd pick.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Hartline chose hometown Browns over Bears, Pats and Texans

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 9, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Brian Hartline
Brian Hartline, a native of Canton and former Ohio State Buckeye, elected to sign a two-year, $6 million deal with the Cleveland Browns on Monday night following his release by the Miami Dolphins.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Hartline had the chance to join the Chicago Bears, New England Patriots and Houston Texans as well before committing to the Browns. Hartline had taken visits to Cleveland, Chicago and Houston before making his decision.

“I didn’t just want to just meet with teams to meet with them,” Hartline said. “I wanted to be able to able to picture myself in a situation, to be able to learn from a coaching staff and to build on what I’ve done for six years. I wanted to let things simmer down and take a little time.”

After a pair of 1,000-yard seasons in 2012 and 2013, Hartline caught just 39 passes for 474 yards and two touchdowns last year for the Dolphins.

McJet

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Hartline chose hometown Browns over Bears, Pats and Texans

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 9, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Brian Hartline
Brian Hartline, a native of Canton and former Ohio State Buckeye, elected to sign a two-year, $6 million deal with the Cleveland Browns on Monday night following his release by the Miami Dolphins.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Hartline had the chance to join the Chicago Bears, New England Patriots and Houston Texans as well before committing to the Browns. Hartline had taken visits to Cleveland, Chicago and Houston before making his decision.

“I didn’t just want to just meet with teams to meet with them,” Hartline said. “I wanted to be able to able to picture myself in a situation, to be able to learn from a coaching staff and to build on what I’ve done for six years. I wanted to let things simmer down and take a little time.”

After a pair of 1,000-yard seasons in 2012 and 2013, Hartline caught just 39 passes for 474 yards and two touchdowns last year for the Dolphins.

What?? is this guy crazy???
Doesn't he know he is supposed to sign with the Patriots at a discount. Isn't that the mantra of the offseason, going to a better team for less money.
Just about every Patriot fan believes that is what Revis will do, take less money for the betterment of the Patsies.The Patriots have a long history of always looking out for their players,right? Just ask Welker, Wilfork, Ty Law, R. Harrison, R. Moss, R. Seymour, Logan Mankins etc..etc.. and so on.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Since the CBA forbids players from playing for minimum wage, or paying the team for the right to be a Patriot, all these free agents should be signing for veterans' minimums.

F

flgreen

I'm holding out hope for Culliver, House or Cro, Carpenter, Fitzpatrick(if released), and one of the rb's(Powell, Spiller, Vereen).

You probably can get most of them for the price Revis is going to cost

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I'm holding out hope for Culliver, House or Cro, Carpenter, Fitzpatrick(if released), and one of the rb's(Powell, Spiller, Vereen).

i agree but I remember when Woody said that we were going to be major players in FA and spend, spend, spend!