Around The NFL

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Not sure but maybe we are switching up schemes with Bowles, Snack is one dimensional. I'm just playing devils advocate, trying to see through a different lens. If we lose Snacks, I'll be pretty upset but it's not the end of the world.

Like Ham said, we'll find out more about their plan after tomorrow.

Well, teams have 65 mill to spend and FAS are disappearing fast (if you believe any of these reports about FAs signing with teams). I think as all the free agents disappear, teams will shift their focus to players like snacks. FREE agency is going to come and go fast this year.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
F

flgreen

Not sure but maybe we are switching up schemes with Bowles, Snack is one dimensional. I'm just playing devils advocate, trying to see through a different lens. If we lose Snacks, I'll be pretty upset but it's not the end of the world.

Like Ham said, we'll find out more about their plan after tomorrow.

Very unlikely. Both Bowles and Rodgers run a base 3-4 D. Even at that Snacks is a handful in both a one gap and a 2 gap system, which both Rex and Bowles run.

Snacks is one of the most under appreciated players on the team. He is the guy that draws, and fights off, double and triple teams, so Wilkerson and Richardson can make the high light plays.

It may not be the end of the world but it would be massively stupid to let the core of your run defense walk off over what is chump change, when people are talking about paying an ageing CB $20,000,000 a year

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
That would be funny if it wasn't so close to the truth.

We're gonna be over-spending on mediocre talent, mark it down.

I don't mind over-spending on guys like Suh, Julius Thomas and even Revis, heck even DeMarco Murray, but if we start over-spending on the Hoyer's, Boling's and Antonio Cromartie's of the world, this free agency will be another disaster.

You have to overspend in NYC sometimes. That state tax is a factor.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
Exactly FLG, its weird.

I don't know, maybe they have a plan that I'm not seeing, hopefully that becomes clear tomorrow.

I mentioned this in another post..maybe the free agents just DONT WANT TO PLAY FOR JETS..unless money blows them out of water.....

a lot of that potentially I blame on the media...the media here is never objective.....always subjective and judgemental.....

also blame other teams better record..and income tax

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Well it looks like the NFL effectively put the kibosh on the leaks, so we're probably not gonna hear much until tomorrow.

Later guys, nice chatting with you.

F

flgreen

Thanks for that, FLG, it makes a big difference.

As far as Snacks goes, I remember you howling on JI for years that the one thing the Jets D needed was "a mountain man" in the middle. Now they have one, and aren't protecting him.

LOL always liked the "mountain Man " reference.

I'll bet somebody makes him a big offer. Maybe 5+

And guess who's in need of a "mountain man"? The Pats

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
As far as Snacks goes, I remember you howling on JI for years that the one thing the Jets D needed was "a mountain man" in the middle. Now they have one, and aren't protecting him.

LOL always liked the "mountain Man " reference.

I'll bet somebody makes him a big offer. Maybe 5+

And guess who's in need of a "mountain man"? The Pats

Then take their second and sign Haloti Ngata

J

Jet Setter

Very unlikely. Both Bowles and Rodgers run a base 3-4 D. Even at that Snacks is a handful in both a one gap and a 2 gap system, which both Rex and Bowles run.

Snacks is one of the most under appreciated players on the team. He is the guy that draws, and fights off, double and triple teams, so Wilkerson and Richardson can make the high light plays.

It may not be the end of the world but it would be massively stupid to let the core of your run defense walk off over what is chump change, when people are talking about paying an ageing CB $20,000,000 a year

You know who's going to swoop in and take him from us with the lowest 2nd round pick in the draft? Guess who! The team that just unloaded Wilfork has a gift-wrapped shiny, new NT awaiting them courtesy the Jets bungling new front office. This is a very dangerous move to save 1M. Where you going to get a NT when he's gone on top of the countless other needs? It will cost you a bit more than that 1M you tried to save.

Harrison only ranked 1st in rush defense in the entire NFL in 2013 and #3 last year. Mike is going to make things harder for himself than they already are if he's not lucky here. This could be a strategic nightmare. His rivals need a NT! I-yi-yi...
He's getting a taste for what Idzik went through last year with a couple of misses in Iupati and now backup QB's McCown and Hoyer. That's what we know of.

Not impressed with this decision.

F

flgreen

Then take their second and sign Haloti Ngata

Oh that makes sense. Let a division rival steal an excellent home grown player you could have locked up for 3 million, and sign a player

that has a $16,000,000 million cap hit this year and won't renegotiate with his team. I'm in

F

flgreen

You know who's going to swoop in and take him from us with the lowest 2nd round pick in the draft? Guess who! The team that just unloaded Wilfork has a gift-wrapped shiny, new NT awaiting them courtesy the Jets bungling new front office. This is a very dangerous move to save 1M. Where you going to get a NT when he's gone on top of the countless other needs? It will cost you a bit more than that 1M you tried to save.

Harrison only ranked 1st in rush defense in the entire NFL in 2013 and #3 last year. Mike is going to make things harder for himself than they already are if he's not lucky here. This could be a strategic nightmare. His rivals need a NT! I-yi-yi...
He's getting a taste for what Idzik went through last year with a couple of misses in Iupati and now backup QB's McCown and Hoyer. That's what we know of.

Not impressed with this decision.

I agree 100% See post #396 . This could turn into a major SNAFU. I wasn't at all upset about what's going on with the FA's, but this is just cheap, and poor gamesmanship.

Have a feeling Beli is going to rip them up with Revis

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
Oh that makes sense. Let a division rival steal an excellent home grown player you could have locked up for 3 million, and sign a player

that has a $16,000,000 million cap hit this year and won't renegotiate with his team. I'm in

Ngata would be new negotiation..not 16 million get facts straight and this is if he gets cut as he will most likely be.....

Plus..they watched film of him Bowles knows what he envisions..and I hardly doubt someone gives a second for him...hes a NT

Bronx

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Draft picks are at a premium, even 2nd rounders. Don't think anyone will give up a second for Snacks, especially since he is not a pass rusher. If they do, Kendrick Ellis is no slouch against the run. Doubt they give us extra picks in the draft

F

flgreen

Can't help but wonder what kind of an effect the Jets dealing with Snacks is going to have on his team mates, and potential FA's

Here is a player that was a walk on FA. Hasn't made any real money yet. Has dominated against the run. Been a great locker room guy. He's in line for a small (by NFL NT standards) bit of reward.

The Jets who have Over $50,000,000 (When Harvin is gone) are trying to squeeze him. His earned a big raise. And he's in his prime and will get better. Other players will notice how the Jets treat their own who have done an exceptional job. Snacks will remember this next year.

As I said before I didn't get upset about FA, because I didn't know their game plan. Their game plan here is clear. Put a core player at risk to save a million dollars.

This is a very bad plan.

Edit: I think the culprit here is Graves. This is some thing that would be in his department. He's the cap guy

J

Jet Setter

Ngata would be new negotiation..not 16 million get facts straight and this is if he gets cut as he will most likely be.....

Plus..they watched film of him Bowles knows what he envisions..and I hardly doubt someone gives a second for him...hes a NT

Why wouldn't they? And when was the value of a young stud NT less than a 2nd rounder? Did you happen to notice Danny Shelton? He's a top 10 lock. Best NT in this draft. Wilfork was a 1st rounder.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
The natives are restless, and we haven't even seen day 1 of FA. I hope we don't lose any preseason games or all hell will break loose.

J

Jet Setter

Draft picks are at a premium, even 2nd rounders. Don't think anyone will give up a second for Snacks, especially since he is not a pass rusher. If they do, Kendrick Ellis is no slouch against the run. Doubt they give us extra picks in the draft

Kenrick Ellis is a FA. And NT's are not pass rushers. OMG. They command double teams and control the run stuffing ability to free up LB's to make tackles. Come on you guys, the Jets have been running a 3-4 for a decade now. This is nothing new.