Draft Needs & Projections

Retired AFA

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
I know Douglas went after Brown and offered him more than Cincy offered. It just seemed like there was No plan B to go after another Good Offensive lineman. Just plan F to find the worst available.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
For all the JD lovers let's look at the Lions who were 3-13-1 in 2021. They win 9 games in 2022. The Jets win 7. They win 12 games and 1 playoff win so far. Jets win 7. One GM drafted well and the other has a few good draft picks. Let's run it back with JD/Rah Rah. Trust the process.

Last edited:

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
There were some pretty good Offensive line talent last year Gramoah. Both Top of the line LT and RT players were paid good money. KC lost their top LT and SF lost their best RT. Both Cinn and Denver swooped in to pay the price while JD elected to sign journeymen who had nothing left in the tank or never had anything in the tank. It will be the same this year as JD will look to sign Offensive line talent in Somala, Timbuktu or the Gaza strip.
You are correct and I agree that money is the problem. JD has a price in mind that he's willing to pay for each position based on what the player brings to the table, how he fits our system, how many years he'll likely be here and all that stuff. He's proven to be fairly rigid about that most of the time. I'm of the mind set that he's trying to keep the team healthy financially for the long run. I applaud that but at the same time I feel like most of you guys. I say spend the money, win the super bowl. In reality that's often not possible and you wind up selling, I use the term loosely here, a player that you should be keeping just to fill other needs. When you have to do that you don't really gain anything you just break even and move the problem to another spot on the roster. This off season is going to be tough because we don't have much cap space to begin with and we have some players that need to get paid to keep them. It's sort of a catch 22 problem.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story
This was reported at the time, but this article leaves out one important detail,the Jets would only offer a 2 year deal. Cincinnati's offer was 1 million less APY, but carried more than double the fully guaranteed money and 2 additional years.
We have missed on many FAs, especially O Line due to this short term mentality , and every longer deal offered has an out after 1 or 2 years. Mean while we're eating over $20 million in cap space for guys like Brown this season who barely saw the field and when he did,he wasn't very effective. So what did Douglas save? Throw in the loss of Rodgers and his salary for going cheap and the reality is We could have offered 4 years 18 per, and saved money. Now we are pretty much forced into over paying for lesser talent due to this years FA class being inferior or being long of the tooth. So old or bad. Kinda what we have been running with since 2019.

Last edited:

McJet

Jet Fanatics
Who, on the Jets, is up for a new contract, minus B Huff?
Bechton? Unless he had an underlying injury (ankle) that made him useless, the second half of the season, he’s finished here.
Jets need cap space to bring in new different players.
It will be interesting whom they cut, restructure to create cap space.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Who, on the Jets, is up for a new contract, minus B Huff?
Bechton? Unless he had an underlying injury (ankle) that made him useless, the second half of the season, he’s finished here.
Jets need cap space to bring in new different players.
It will be interesting whom they cut, restructure to create cap space.
We have quite a few FAs this off season. Both tackles, McGovern , Billy Turner.
At edge Lawson, Solomon Thomas ,Bradlee Anae (RFA) ,Ifeadi Odenigbo
DT Quinton Jefferson Al Woods Tanzel Smart
Both kicker and Punter
At safety Whitehead ,Amos,Clark, Davis
Big names? No . But all were part of the rotation at their positions and have to be replaced, hopefully upgraded. Or resigned especially the kickers.
I'm hoping for some trades to create cap space and to add some draft capital.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Both kicker and Punter
Big names? No . But all were part of the rotation at their positions and have to be replaced, hopefully upgraded. Or resigned especially the kickers.

If the name Billy Turner is never mentioned ever in reference to the JETS football team I wouldn’t cry . I will if we continue to mention his name.

McJet

Jet Fanatics

Both kicker and Punter
Out of those FA’s S Thomas, A Davis, Clarke, Morestead, Zuerlein, are who should be brought back. ESP Morestead, Zuerlein.
Everyone else needs an upgrade.
Whitehead was the weak link to the D this year, I believe.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
This was reported at the time, but this article leaves out one important detail,the Jets would only offer a 2 year deal. Cincinnati's offer was 1 million less APY, but carried more than double the fully guaranteed money and 2 additional years.
We have missed on many FAs, especially O Line due to this short term mentality , and every longer deal offered has an out after 1 or 2 years. Mean while we're eating over $20 million in cap space for guys like Brown this season who barely saw the field and when he did,he wasn't very effective. So what did Douglas save? Throw in the loss of Rodgers and his salary for going cheap and the reality is We could have offered 4 years 18 per, and saved money. Now we are pretty much forced into over paying for lesser talent due to this years FA class being inferior or being long of the tooth. So old or bad. Kinda what we have been running with since 2019.
Brown is certainly one of those thorns in their side that needs to be pulled this off season.

Retired AFA

Jet Fanatics
The problem with releasing certain players is the dead money that goes into our cap. Do we really have anyone worth anything that another team is willing to ante up for?

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
The problem with releasing certain players is the dead money that goes into our cap. Do we really have anyone worth anything that another team is willing to ante up for?
Doesn’t matter. I would cut Tomlinson and choke on the dead money before I let the guy put on the colors again . But that’s just me.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I know Douglas went after Brown and offered him more than Cincy offered. It just seemed like there was No plan B to go after another Good Offensive lineman. Just plan F to find the worst available.
Who else was available?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
For all the JD lovers let's look at the Lions who were 3-13-1 in 2021. They win 9 games in 2022. The Jets win 7. They win 12 games and 1 playoff win so far. Jets win 7. One GM drafted well and the other has a few good draft picks. Let's run it back with JD/Rah Rah. Trust the process.
And if Joe Douglas was with another team, you'd be bashing the Jets' GM and asking why he can't have drafts like that Douglas guy had for whichever team he was with.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
And if Joe Douglas was with another team, you'd be bashing the Jets' GM and asking why he can't have drafts like that Douglas guy had for whichever team he was with.
I bet I would not be doing that. I rarely can tell you who a GM is. I'm just saying he is in year 5 and there are teams worse or just as bad as the Jets and they turned it around in 1-3 years. The Jets on the other hand have the same wins as when he tore it down. I'm just wondering why some fans are so accepting of the product on the field. Being the best the Jets have had in awhile is not a reason to excuse the failure.