Draft Needs & Projections

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
The problem with releasing certain players is the dead money that goes into our cap. Do we really have anyone worth anything that another team is willing to ante up for?
Most of the players getting released Lawson, Brown, Zach (released or traded )carry significant dead cap. Over 20 million in those 3 alone. IR or healthy scratches. Better to eat the cap hit then the full salary and waste a roster spot.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics

Out of those FA’s S Thomas, A Davis, Clarke, Morestead, Zuerlein, are who should be brought back. ESP Morestead, Zuerlein.
Everyone else needs an upgrade.
Whitehead was the weak link to the D this year, I believe.
Fully agree. Especially about Whitehead!

Retired AFA

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Sack, McGlingley (SF) RT was released and signed by Denver. I would have loved to had him as our Rt. A few years earlier, Joe Thuney was a FA and JD did not want to Ante up for him. KC saw the value and he's All-Pro. Another one was Conklin and he went to Tenn. The FA Offensive Linemen are out there but JD would rather pay Crap for 4-5 OL that are shit. Instead take the $$$$ you shell out for shit and get 1 good Offensive lineman.

Retired AFA

Jet Fanatics
For dead money issues. I see no reason why Lawson, Lazarrd, or Tomlison should be retained. But why the hell did we keep Lawson last year with all the Edge rushers we had. I'm sure if Tomlinson stays. He will play lights outs as it is a contract year. JD will give him a fat contract and he'll revert back to his lazy self again. The only player we might be able to get a pick for and that is Zach Wilson. If Carolina comes calling.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I bet I would not be doing that. I rarely can tell you who a GM is. I'm just saying he is in year 5 and there are teams worse or just as bad as the Jets and they turned it around in 1-3 years. The Jets on the other hand have the same wins as when he tore it down. I'm just wondering why some fans are so accepting of the product on the field. Being the best the Jets have had in awhile is not a reason to excuse the failure.
I am accepting of it because it was a complete teardown. A quick fix might have gotten them more competitive sooner, but it would not have been built for potential long-term success.

It's just a difference in philosophy.

Retired AFA

Jet Fanatics
This has nothing to do about JD. The Difference in philosophy was signing Rodgers. If we went by the plan and stuck to Drafting by keeping our picks. IMHO we would have been better off. Woody stuck his two (2) cents in to it and cost us in Cap and Draft picks.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I am accepting of it because it was a complete teardown. A quick fix might have gotten them more competitive sooner, but it would not have been built for potential long-term success.

It's just a difference in philosophy.
Well how long do you wait for long term success?

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Well how long do you wait for long term success?
As long as it takes . You win some and you lose some but in the end as long as you keep moving forward you’re good. There’s no doubt that the selection of Zach Wilson has been a huge problem. IMHO, navigating around Aaron Rodgers will determine the present and future of this Jets franchise and this regime. I foresee an extension for both Douglas and Saleh . Whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing is to be determined. It’s time this Franchise see something through.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
so Garrett Wilson has been on the prowl and has tagged Rome Odunze the wide receiver from Washington as the possible running buddy to himself for next season. Which I think would be a perfect fit and for the first time Aaron Rodgers gets a receiver drafted in the first round for him to play with. Do we use that 10th pick on a receiver?

all honesty if Marvin Harrison Jr. is gone then Rome Odunze is the next best receiving option. But one of these two receivers could be there at 10. End of the day it might not be flashy or that OL that everyone wants but have a feeling we are going to try to trade some current players to save cap. Said TRY. Joe Douglas will stand pat with the roster and try again to mis manage contracts. Again TRY then will have to eat dead cap and cut dead weight to save something.

There is a growing list of 5 possible Rookie Free Agents that the team is looking to sign after the draft, knowing our dumb luck all those kids will be taken in the draft, three are from small schools that this organization feels they will not be selected.

Corner Anthony Brown, defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey, and safety Trey Dean were not among the players signed to futures deals following the conclusion of the regular season. They are saying Trey Dean has signed with the Chiefs. Not sure about the other two. I expect that we could go after Perrion because he is dealing with that injury. But Anthony Brown hurts.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
so Garrett Wilson has been on the prowl and has tagged Rome Odunze the wide receiver from Washington as the possible running buddy to himself for next season. Which I think would be a perfect fit and for the first time Aaron Rodgers gets a receiver drafted in the first round for him to play with. Do we use that 10th pick on a receiver?

all honesty if Marvin Harrison Jr. is gone then Rome Odunze is the next best receiving option. But one of these two receivers could be there at 10. End of the day it might not be flashy or that OL that everyone wants but have a feeling we are going to try to trade some current players to save cap. Said TRY. Joe Douglas will stand pat with the roster and try again to mis manage contracts. Again TRY then will have to eat dead cap and cut dead weight to save something.

There is a growing list of 5 possible Rookie Free Agents that the team is looking to sign after the draft, knowing our dumb luck all those kids will be taken in the draft, three are from small schools that this organization feels they will not be selected.

Corner Anthony Brown, defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey, and safety Trey Dean were not among the players signed to futures deals following the conclusion of the regular season. They are saying Trey Dean has signed with the Chiefs. Not sure about the other two. I expect that we could go after Perrion because he is dealing with that injury. But Anthony Brown hurts.
To be quite honest if I’m taking a playmaker on offense I would prefer the Georgia TE Bowers . Unlike most here I really see potential in Brownlee and Gipson as running mates for G-Wil and adding someone like Bowers will only strengthen that . This team needs a 2nd round pick more than it needs Huff because it will allow them to be aggressive with the 10th pick . We can get an OT capable of starting next season for us even in round 2 . To be quite honest the 2025 1st is available. That’s how important this draft is for this franchise

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
As good as Bowers is you'll get the same reaction from fans as McDonald's redundant pick last year. We have two possibly three good TE's already on the roster while we have one good WR and no good/foundational OT's. Having said that, Bowers would make the WR room better.
If we are able to squeeze a #2 from some team for Huff, then the McDonald pick makes some sense. Maybe JD got lucky with Huff's production last season and we recoup the Rogers #2.

Last edited:

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
To be quite honest if I’m taking a playmaker on offense I would prefer the Georgia TE Bowers . Unlike most here I really see potential in Brownlee and Gipson as running mates for G-Wil and adding someone like Bowers will only strengthen that . This team needs a 2nd round pick more than it needs Huff because it will allow them to be aggressive with the 10th pick . We can get an OT capable of starting next season for us even in round 2 . To be quite honest the 2025 1st is available. That’s how important this draft is for this franchise
Bowers not worth that 10th pick. Brownlee and Gipson will be vying for playing time as the slot receivers we need another vyable boundary receiver to take double coverages off of GW. A tight end like Bowers only going to get double covered with a linebacker and nickel corner they will keep the safety over the top to put more pressure on GW.

I see what you did there but how bout we sign a veteran free agent like Gerald Everett? a hybrid wide receiver tight end?

Joe Douglas is going to go out and sign sub par free agents to be depth and hopefully throw the bank at one or two starters that would be backups for other teams. From what I heard Duane Brown is toying with the idea to re up with the Jets ( have fun with that news ).

Other news the Jets are looking to renegotiate with Laken... Have some fun with that. And Joe Douglas is seriously toying with the idea of bringing back Connor McGovern on another one year deal. The problem with these players it is not the players it is the OL Coach Carter.

From what I heard even though Mekhi Becton has been a shit poor left tackle he did one thing right he was an outstanding run blocker on the left side but also had shit poor qb play with no weapons for that qb to throw too. Laken also a problematic running buddy at left guard does not help. So hear is some other news YES the Jets are hoping to re-sign Mekhi on a short 2 year deal and if he returns the optics will where will he play. He was and is better suited to play on the right side because of his physicality, he is not a technical tackle. So what do we do with him, do we kick him inside? or move him to right tackle? Or with Aaron Rodgers at the helm could the better QB play help elevate Becton's experience?

so these players could be back:

Mekhi Becton (starting left or right tackle?)
Duane Brown (what the fuck are they thinking?)
Connor McGovern (do we have a need for this guy?)

these players are under contract

Wes Schweitzer (starting Guard? or backup center?)
Max Mitchell (swing tackle or interior backup?)
Joe Tippmann (franchise Center or starting guard?)
Carter Warren (swing tackle or spot starter)
Laken Tomlinson (god help us)
Alijah Vera Tucker (do we pick up his 5th year? & where does he play left or right guard?)
Chris Glaser (backup center?)
Xavier Newman (backup center or swing guard?)
Austin Deculus (depth or practice squad?)