Draft Needs & Projections

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Draft Taliese Fuaga (sp?) at 10 and forget about RT for the next ten years.
Taliese would be a good pick but forgetting about RT for any length of time is a NO NO. We need to add that other tackle as well because we don't have a starter tackle at either side on the roster. So take Taliese at 10 but add another starter level tackle during the off season via draft, free agency, or trade. It's a must do move. If Becton is kept it will be as a back-up. AVT needs to stay at the guard position where he excells and probably avoids further injury.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Taliese would be a good pick but forgetting about RT for any length of time is a NO NO. We need to add that other tackle as well because we don't have a starter tackle at either side on the roster. So take Taliese at 10 but add another starter level tackle during the off season via draft, free agency, or trade. It's a must do move. If Becton is kept it will be as a back-up. AVT needs to stay at the guard position where he excells and probably avoids further injury.
I think what he means is that if you draft Fuaga, you can stick him at RT and not have to worry about addressing RT for years. There is still the need of addressing LT. I think one starting OT comes in during free agency and the other with that first round pick.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
I think what he means is that if you draft Fuaga, you can stick him at RT and not have to worry about addressing RT for years. There is still the need of addressing LT. I think one starting OT comes in during free agency and the other with that first round pick.
Think right tackle should be the free agency target.
Grab hopefully a franchise LT in round 1.
Edited. Meant RT in FA

Last edited:

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Agree 100%

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I seriously hope JD attacks the O line in free agency. There are a few tackles and guards that are available that could provide immediate help on the line. This would also give us the flexibility to go into the draft and take BPA! If we can get a top Tackle in the draft then we grab them! But going into the draft hamstrung and clearly deficient at certain positions allows assholes like Belicheat the opportunity to trade down/ and let other teams grab the players we are clearly targeting.

If we can sure up needs in free agency, it puts us in a much better position heading into the draft

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Yep. I agree. I hope they don't take Trent Brown though. He's good when he's healthy but...........He misses to much time with injury and has the same weight problem as Becton. That gets harder to control as you age as well.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Think right tackle should be the draft target. Grab hopefully a franchise LT in round 1.
It's a tough spot because you don't know how the draft will fall. If there was an elite LT in free agency with no red flags whatsoever, I'd make a run at him and focus on RT in the draft. But the top LTs, like Tyron Smith and (likely hitting the market) Bakhtiari, are high-end players but lack durability. The RT market is much more secure in free agency.

Unfortunately, the draft is similar. There are a couple top-end LTs, but we don't know if either would make it to #10. It is FAR more likely that a top RT will be there at 10 than a top LT.

Sooooooo...

Do you go LT in free agency and hope for the durability of that player, taking the sure thing stud RT in the draft?
Or do you go safe in free agency, secure RT, and hope one of the two top LTs make it to #10?

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
It's a tough spot because you don't know how the draft will fall. If there was an elite LT in free agency with no red flags whatsoever, I'd make a run at him and focus on RT in the draft. But the top LTs, like Tyron Smith and (likely hitting the market) Bakhtiari, are high-end players but lack durability. The RT market is much more secure in free agency.

Unfortunately, the draft is similar. There are a couple top-end LTs, but we don't know if either would make it to #10. It is FAR more likely that a top RT will be there at 10 than a top LT.

Sooooooo...

Do you go LT in free agency and hope for the durability of that player, taking the sure thing stud RT in the draft?
Or do you go safe in free agency, secure RT, and hope one of the two top LTs make it to #10?
Yeah we already have two LT's that can't stay healthy or suck when they do.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics

Sooooooo...

Id go after Eluminor (SP) as RT in free agency and LT in draft. Try to trade up if need be. Swap first round picks and a 4th or next years 3rd.
Hell we traded a first and 2 thirds to move up for a guard. The LT market is too weak at LT.
May even look at a guard in FA. AVT is doubtful to be ready to practice,let alone play to start the season.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Id go after Eluminor (SP) as RT in free agency and LT in draft. Try to trade up if need be. Swap first round picks and a 4th or next years 3rd.
Hell we traded a first and 2 thirds to move up for a guard. The LT market is too weak at LT.
May even look at a guard in FA. AVT is doubtful to be ready to practice,let alone play to start the season.
He's on my list of FA RTs that interest me.

It would be a LOT easier for the Jets if they projected Fuaga as someone who could play either LT or RT. We don't know if he can play LT, so that makes it more difficult. Ideally, the Jets would know that one of the two top LTs will be available at #10, but nobody knows. Trading up is a possibility, but I don't know if a 4th or 3th does it in the top 10.

And I would definitely look at G in FA. Zeitler is a guy who could come in. I think he would work within the scheme. Another possibility is if the Packers let Runyan walk. I know people are sick of bringing in Packers, but this could be a good fit, and I doubt he would be as expensive as some guards on the market might be. And he's younger.

Address G and one of the two OT spots in free agency, and use the first to address the other OT. All of a sudden, the Jets have a good line. You still have the third rounder either to go WR or as trade bait to deal for a WR.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics

Sooooooo...

Most of the mock drafts I've seen have only one of the several good RTs and LTs off the board when the Jets pick. We will have good options for both positions at #10.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Most of the mock drafts I've seen have only one of the several good RTs and LTs off the board when the Jets pick. We will have good options for both positions at #10.
What it comes down to is whether one of either Alt or Fashanu make it to 10. If one of the two of them does (far more likely Fashanu), the Jets can choose between RT and LT.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
What it comes down to is whether one of either Alt or Fashanu make it to 10. If one of the two of them does (far more likely Fashanu), the Jets can choose between RT and LT.
Exactly.............It looks for the time being that the Jets will have the opportunity to get a OT if they want one. They better want one or I'll be pissed.

Last edited:

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Exactly.............It looks for the time being that the Jets will have the opportunity to get a OT if they want one. They better want one or I'll be pissed.
As long as they draft a T that's ready to play and don't fall in love with the high ceiling low floor prospect JD can't seem to resist.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Does Trent Brown make sense in the context of his flexibility of being able to start on the left or the right? If you sign him to a starting spot, you can let the draft come to you and take whichever OT you have highest.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Does Trent Brown make sense in the context of his flexibility of being able to start on the left or the right? If you sign him to a starting spot, you can let the draft come to you and take whichever OT you have highest.
Haven’t we done the over the hill thing and failed miserably already? We can get to starting OT from this draft that would be an improvement over most of what we had last season. Even if we had to steal one in free agency I would prefer someone just a little younger . The truth be told the Jets could probably get better production starting Carter Warren and one of the top 10 OT prospects from this draft class. We just need to add another as insurance.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I seriously hope JD attacks the O line in free agency. There are a few tackles and guards that are available that could provide immediate help on the line. This would also give us the flexibility to go into the draft and take BPA! If we can get a top Tackle in the draft then we grab them! But going into the draft hamstrung and clearly deficient at certain positions allows assholes like Belicheat the opportunity to trade down/ and let other teams grab the players we are clearly targeting.

If we can sure up needs in free agency, it puts us in a much better position heading into the draft
So far whatever JD has done to fix the OL he has failed, but yeah let's trust him to try again.