Draft Needs & Projections

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
We really need to attack Free Agency to try to fix the O line. Players worth keep never hit FA, so anyone we sign would be a temporary stop gap, but we really have to go into the draft with flexibility and not with gaping holes like we did last year (hence why Belicheat was able to screw us over, everyone knew who we were targeting).

Sign a Tackle (multi Tackles), a guard and look for some depth. Then we go into the draft looking to take BPA (or trade down and pick up some extra picks). If you go into the draft with dire needs, you gonna come out of the draft with most of those needs unfulfilled.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
We really need to attack Free Agency to try to fix the O line. Players worth keep never hit FA, so anyone we sign would be a temporary stop gap, but we really have to go into the draft with flexibility and not with gaping holes like we did last year (hence why Belicheat was able to screw us over, everyone knew who we were targeting).

Sign a Tackle (multi Tackles), a guard and look for some depth. Then we go into the draft looking to take BPA (or trade down and pick up some extra picks). If you go into the draft with dire needs, you gonna come out of the draft with most of those needs unfulfilled.
You're hired!

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Haven’t we done the over the hill thing and failed miserably already? We can get to starting OT from this draft that would be an improvement over most of what we had last season. Even if we had to steal one in free agency I would prefer someone just a little younger . The truth be told the Jets could probably get better production starting Carter Warren and one of the top 10 OT prospects from this draft class. We just need to add another as insurance.
He's only going to be 31 this season. He's not Moses or Duane Brown. Some of the best OTs in the league are in their upper 30s, and he is 30 right now.

I'm all for youth. I want the Jets to draft an OT. But the line could use a steady veteran presence, especially if they have young guys like AVT, Tippmann, and the OT they draft all being relatively young.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I keep coming up with Joe Alt in the mock draft programs

Is this good? Sounds ike a guy who only makes the Pro Bowl when someone else gets hurt

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

I see it playing out with one OT added via free agency and one through the first round of the draft. Those are your two starters, with Carter Warren being your primary swing tackle to serve as insurance. As for guard, I would cut Tomlinson and add one via free agency. It does not have to be the kind of big splash you make at OT. A steady starter would be fine. They could go bigger with someone like Zeitler, but if they wanted to go a bit younger, Hunt could be a bigger splash. For a younger, more reasonable guy who is definitely a fit in the system and would not cost a mint, Jon Runyan could come over from the Packers. He has experience at RG, which means AVT could slide into LG and be a Pro Bowler for years. I know, everyone is on them about former Packers, but this could be a good fit.

I could absolutely see the line filling out in one of two ways for next year.

Brown-AVT-Tippmann-Runyan-Fuaga

Or...

Fashanu-AVT-Tippmann-Runyan-Brown

I would suspect, unless either Alt drops to the Jets or someone else rises up the board, It will be Fashanu or Fuaga. Now, the FA OT and OG may not be Brown and Runyan. Those are just hypotheticals. But I'd be pleased with that line, especially if you have Carter Warren as your swing and Max Mitchell for depth at OT. Then you can add some depth on the inside. Maybe McGovern comes back, or, if someone like Christian Haynes could be gotten with a mid-rounder, he would add great depth at OG and maybe could develop in time to being a starter.

That is how I would build the OL. Two starter signings, an OT and an OG, and a drafted starting OT with a drafted mid-round IOL pick.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
We desperately need to find a way to acquire a second round pick. Unless Fashanu is there at 10 that’s where I make my move . Either I trade down and get a second or w trade down and get a first next season and trade one of them from next season back into the bottom of the 1st .

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Does Trent Brown make sense in the context of his flexibility of being able to start on the left or the right? If you sign him to a starting spot, you can let the draft come to you and take whichever OT you have highest.

I have reservations about signing Trent Brown after looking at his stats. He has shown that he is very capable when he's on the field, although 2022 was a poor season for him production wise. He had a lot of penalties and allowed a lot of sacks. I got that uneasy Becton Syndrome feeling when checking him out. He has missed a lot of games due to injuries or illness, and dare I say it, I have to. He has a weight problem which is currently being handled with an incentive program. It's written into his contract. He also gets paid for each game based on what he weighs at game time. We all know that availability is a big part of a players value. Who fills in for the 5 or six games he misses ?

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
He's only going to be 31 this season. He's not Moses or Duane Brown. Some of the best OTs in the league are in their upper 30s, and he is 30 right now.

I'm all for youth. I want the Jets to draft an OT. But the line could use a steady veteran presence, especially if they have young guys like AVT, Tippmann, and the OT they draft all being relatively young.
He's not really all that steady Sack..................

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
I see it playing out with one OT added via free agency and one through the first round of the draft. Those are your two starters, with Carter Warren being your primary swing tackle to serve as insurance. As for guard, I would cut Tomlinson and add one via free agency. It does not have to be the kind of big splash you make at OT. A steady starter would be fine. They could go bigger with someone like Zeitler, but if they wanted to go a bit younger, Hunt could be a bigger splash. For a younger, more reasonable guy who is definitely a fit in the system and would not cost a mint, Jon Runyan could come over from the Packers. He has experience at RG, which means AVT could slide into LG and be a Pro Bowler for years. I know, everyone is on them about former Packers, but this could be a good fit.

I could absolutely see the line filling out in one of two ways for next year.

Brown-AVT-Tippmann-Runyan-Fuaga

Or...

Fashanu-AVT-Tippmann-Runyan-Brown

I would suspect, unless either Alt drops to the Jets or someone else rises up the board, It will be Fashanu or Fuaga. Now, the FA OT and OG may not be Brown and Runyan. Those are just hypotheticals. But I'd be pleased with that line, especially if you have Carter Warren as your swing and Max Mitchell for depth at OT. Then you can add some depth on the inside. Maybe McGovern comes back, or, if someone like Christian Haynes could be gotten with a mid-rounder, he would add great depth at OG and maybe could develop in time to being a starter.

That is how I would build the OL. Two starter signings, an OT and an OG, and a drafted starting OT with a drafted mid-round IOL pick.

I like it Sack, well, except for the Trent Brown part.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
We desperately need to find a way to acquire a second round pick. Unless Fashanu is there at 10 that’s where I make my move . Either I trade down and get a second or w trade down and get a first next season and trade one of them from next season back into the bottom of the 1st .
I would love to see JD land 2 OTs with his first 2 picks. I know....................wishful dreaming.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I have reservations about signing Trent Brown after looking at his stats. He has shown that he is very capable when he's on the field, although 2022 was a poor season for him production wise. He had a lot of penalties and allowed a lot of sacks. I got that uneasy Becton Syndrome feeling when checking him out. He has missed a lot of games due to injuries or illness, and dare I say it, I have to. He has a weight problem which is currently being handled with an incentive program. It's written into his contract. He also gets paid for each game based on what he weighs at game time. We all know that availability is a big part of a players value. Who fills in for the 5 or six games he misses ?
I think the Jets may end up being gunshy over someone like Trent Brown because of Becton. But he has been far more productive and far healthier than Becton has been. There are other guys you could take in FA, but what I like most about Trent Brown is it opens up the draft to choosing either a LT or a RT.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I like it Sack, well, except for the Trent Brown part.
Well, you could go with Onwenu, who would be a healthier option, but can he play LT regularly, or does that mean hoping that Alt or Fashanu makes it to #10? Eleumunor is a possibility, and he could probably play either spot, but is he a legit NFL starter or is he a swing tackle type, maybe half a step up from Carter Warren?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
My fear is they let JD pick the draft and then fire him. The Jets have done that before ya know.
One some level, it makes more sense to make a front office change after the draft than it does after the season. The GM season seems to kick off after the draft, and conclude with it and undrafted free agency.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Soooo...are you advocating against him upgrading the OL, then?
Has he ever upgraded the OL? I understand he has tried, but it's been a disaster. I know we are stuck with him so I'm rooting for him to not suck, but he has to prove it first.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Has he ever upgraded the OL? I understand he has tried, but it's been a disaster. I know we are stuck with him so I'm rooting for him to not suck, but he has to prove it first.
A couple positions. Tippmann and AVT. Becton was a complete bust, as was the Tomlinson signing.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Hopefully Tippmann turns out ok. I don't think AVT will ever be the same.
I can understand the pessimism. I mean, Jets. However, I would be more concerned if it was the same type of injury that ended both seasons. In terms of the body, the injuries are far apart, upper arm and heel. So while with the Jets' terrible, awful luck, I can see reason for the pessimism, there is cause for at least some optimism.