Draft Needs & Projections

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
I'm of the school, throw the kitchen sink at Tyron Smith, drop down and snag Fuaga. That would shore up both tackle spots, if we can't drop down, I don't think Fuaga is a reach at 10.
With Smith they would need some protection and back-up for when he gets injured. He's good when he's on the field but his history says injury prone and he likely expects big money. Not a lot of good options for the position in free agency but unless we can draft 2 we may have to hope to get lucky with a free agent pick.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Free agency pick-up hopefully.....................
Are there any really any viable LTs available in Free Agency. Smith and Bakhtiari are injuries waiting to happen, Trent Brown is not a scheme fit and had to have incentives in his contract to keep his weight in check. Becton is the third highest LT in free agency.
Douglas dug him self a deep hole and he is going to have to pull off some serious magic to get out of it.
Honestly I think he is going to have to trade away several of next year's picks. Grab a guard and center in free agency, trade for a tackle and draft a RT at 10. That's the starting 5.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Grab Jayden Daniels at #10. If they are going to screw up the pick anyway just make its colossal, but only if there is a camera on Rodgers face when we draft a QB in the first round.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Are there any really any viable LTs available in Free Agency. Smith and Bakhtiari are injuries waiting to happen, Trent Brown is not a scheme fit and had to have believe that incentives in his contract to keep his weight in check. Becton is the third highest LT in free agency.
Douglas dug him self a deep hole and he is going to have to pull off some serious magic to get out of it.
Honestly I think he is going to have to trade away several of next year's picks. Grab a guard and center in free agency, trade for a tackle and draft a RT at 10. That's the starting 5.

Really Tony, as I see it, there are no great options for LT in free agency. I hate to say it, BUT, Smith is JD's best option, if he can even get him. I
would like to see him signed with a contract that has incentives for games played and, even at that, pick another OT late in the draft to groom for when he goes down. I don't believe you will see Bakhtiari or Becton in Jets uniforms next season. Right tackle, I have a hunch will be Latham at 10. There are several good options in free agency to upgrade our left guard position. I think our starting line will read like this..........Smith at LT, Free agent LG, Tippman C, AVT RG, Latham RT. That's my gut feeling, IF, JD can sign Smith as there will be competition for him.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
The only way we're fixing the OL is with multiple FA signings and the draft. We definitely need a T but it may also be easier to sign a C and move Tippman to G. We don't have one hole to plug, we have 3 and AVT isn't a lock to even be healthy at the start of the season (so make that 4 plus backups).

All of that with a lack of picks and minimum cap space :ROFLMAO: We need to start restructuring the Mosley's and JFM's or we are screwed.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Here’s my position on the upcoming draft:

I trade down and target 2 players . JPJ and Amarius Mims . Hopefully I can garner a 2nd round pick but if only a 3rd I use one of the 3rds, one of the 4th and a pick from 2025 to move back into the 2nd Where I look at either baby Jenkins at DT or Mckinnley Jackson.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
The only way we're fixing the OL is with multiple FA signings and the draft. We definitely need a T but it may also be easier to sign a C and move Tippman to G. We don't have one hole to plug, we have 3 and AVT isn't a lock to even be healthy at the start of the season (so make that 4 plus backups).

All of that with a lack of picks and minimum cap space :ROFLMAO: We need to start restructuring the Mosley's and JFM's or we are screwed.
AVT will be fine. Guard is his best position. Tippman was drafted to be the center long term and he gets better every snap. He needs to stay there and be that guy. There are guards available in free agency that are all upgrades over the one the Jets cut. We also need to upgrade the receiver room to give Wilson some relief from being double covered all the time.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
AVT will be fine. Guard is his best position. Tippman was drafted to be the center long term and he gets better every snap. He needs to stay there and be that guy. There are guards available in free agency that are all upgrades over the one the Jets cut. We also need to upgrade the receiver room to give Wilson some relief from being double covered all the time.
I don't understand how everyone burns Becton for back-to-back season ending injuries, but gives AVT a free pass for the same. He is clearly the best G on the team (and one of the best in the league), but he cannot be counted on at the moment as a lock for anything, until he is healthy and stays that way.

As for Tippman, I agree he is our C of the future, but like AVT he is very versatile and depending on what we can sign/draft, he may have to shift to Guard for the season if that is what the team needs. There have been several arguments pitched that he actually played better at Guard than Center, but as a rookie Center I'm sure he would have continued to improve with Reps and comfort (so I do agree he should be at C).

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I don't understand how everyone burns Becton for back-to-back season ending injuries, but gives AVT a free pass for the same. He is clearly the best G on the team (and one of the best in the league), but he cannot be counted on at the moment as a lock for anything, until he is healthy and stays that way.

As for Tippman, I agree he is our C of the future, but like AVT he is very versatile and depending on what we can sign/draft, he may have to shift to Guard for the season if that is what the team needs. There have been several arguments pitched that he actually played better at Guard than Center, but as a rookie Center I'm sure he would have continued to improve with Reps and comfort (so I do agree he should be at C).
Probably because AVT doesn't balloon to a 1/4 ton when injured and when he plays he plays at a high level. Becton has only his rookie year to fall back on. Nobody should count on AVT. We have 4 OL that have to be replaced. If he is healthy then he can earn his spot back.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics

I think AVT gets the pass from most of us because his injuries weren't caused by eating everything in the cafeteria but the furniture. Becton did improve on his conditioning but the difference is how they each performed once they came back from injury. Becton was not the same when he returned to the line. You could see that he was playing timid, worrying about getting injured again instead of concentrating on being effective. I understand that but it hurts the team when you operate that way. AVT on the other hand goes right back to where he left off, efficient and a force to be reckoned with and nothing left on the field. Just my opinion, of course. Becton is still young and I believe that he will eventually work it out. The Jets might wind up with him still. Who knows ? The problem is the Jets need the player he was before injury to start this season so it is difficult for them to wait for him to get back to being that player.

Last edited:

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
We need to find players that will fit the new regimes scheme. You know, the next inept group that will be over payed to turn this mess around. The one we all know will be here when next year is a failure.

kinda hard to draft for that regime as we don’t know who they’ll be except that no one else wanted them

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
We need to find players that will fit the new regimes scheme. You know, the next inept group that will be over payed to turn this mess around. The one we all know will be here when next year is a failure.

kinda hard to draft for that regime as we don’t know who they’ll be except that no one else wanted them
Well we are the organization that let the GM draft players and then fired him.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I think AVT gets the pass from most of us because his injuries weren't caused by eating everything in the cafeteria but the furniture. Becton did improve on his conditioning but the difference is how they each performed once they came back from injury. Becton was not the same when he returned to the line. You could see that he was playing timid, worrying about getting injured again instead of concentrating on being effective. I understand that but it hurts the team when you operate that way. AVT on the other hand goes right back to where he left off, efficient and a force to be reckoned with and nothing left on the field. Just my opinion, of course. Becton is still young and I believe that he will eventually work it out. The Jets might wind up with him still. Who knows ? The problem is the Jets need the player he was before injury to start this season so it is difficult for them to wait for him to get back to being that player.
This is an unfair analysis though. The weight didn't cause the injury, he gained the weight while injured. Having a 350+ pound OL completely flop on and roll up his leg is what caused his injury. The second injury may have had something to do with the weight he gained, but also moving him to RT while still recovering and having him continuously plant on a reconstructed knee also played heavily in the second injury.

I get it, he's not a fitness guru and gained weight after his first major injury. This could be bad habits, could be genetics, could be depression (honestly so many factors could have contributed to that).

Reports are still saying there is no lock for AVT to be ready even for the start of the season. Fact is, both of these guys just had eerie similar back to back seasons and one guy gets nothing but shit for it, while the other guy is still getting showered with praise. AVT is All Pro when healthy, but first injury was tricep tear, really no reason to expect any decline in performance coming back from that. He is now coming back from a weird high achilles tear. So what happens if he isn't the same player when he returns? What if he needs a season or two to get the full athleticism back? Why would anyone expect him to just "step back in and pick up where he left off"? That would be fanatic (oh and actually stay healthy), but IMO should not be the expectation.

We should not count on either (Becton may not even be back, he's a FA), and AVT is still an unhealthy scratch until he isn't. Becton didn't look like his Rookie self last season, actually he was pretty awful by the numbers. That being said, I'm happy he stayed healthy and put a body of work together to work on. The guys talent is clear, and if he can stay healthy it will show and come together (last season was his first healthy season since his Rookie year, so literally he was a 2nd year player trying to figure out how to stay on the field and not get hurt, it wasn't as simple as just work on your craft, he had 2 major injuries sitting on his mind to overcome).

I'm not a Becton apologist, but the hypocritical and biased POV's are unfair IMO. I see both OL as in the same bucket (both talented, both with huge potential, both cannot be relied upon because of the injury history).

Last edited:

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
This is an unfair analysis though. The weight didn't cause the injury, he gained the weight while injured. Having a 350+ pound OL completely flop on and roll up his leg is what caused his injury. The second injury may have had something to do with the weight he gained, but also moving him to RT while still recovering and having him continuously plant on a reconstructed knee also played heavily in the second injury.

I get it, he's not a fitness guru and gained weight after his first major injury. This could be bad habits, could be genetics, could be depression (honestly so many factors could have contributed to that).

Reports are still saying there is no lock for AVT to be ready even for the start of the season. Fact is, both of these guys just had eerie similar back to back seasons and one guy gets nothing but shit for it, while the other guy is still getting showered with praise. AVT is All Pro when healthy, but first injury was tricep tear, really no reason to expect any decline in performance coming back from that. He is now coming back from a weird high achilles tear. So what happens if he isn't the same player when he returns? What if he needs a season or two to get the full athleticism back? Why would anyone expect him to just "step back in and pick up where he left off"? That would be fanatic (oh and actually stay healthy), but IMO should not be the expectation.

We should not count on either (Becton may not even be back, he's a FA), and AVT is still an unhealthy scratch until he isn't. Becton didn't look like his Rookie self last season, actually he was pretty awful by the numbers. That being said, I'm happy he stayed healthy and put a body of work together to work on. The guys talent is clear, and if he can stay healthy it will show and come together (last season was his first healthy season since his Rookie year, so literally he was a 2nd year player trying to figure out how to stay on the field and not get hurt, it wasn't as simple as just work on your craft, he had 2 major injuries sitting on his mind to overcome).

I'm not a Becton apologist, but the hypocritical and biased POV's are unfair IMO. I see both OL as in the same bucket (both talented, both with huge potential, both cannot be relied upon because of the injury history).
You're right about Becton's 1st injury not being weight related and I get that. He also played like a super star then. It was during rehab that he gave in to the weight accumulation which as I mentioned he corrected. What I was pointing out was that Becton never got back to playing anywhere near the level that he was before injury, and as I also mentioned, I believe that eventually he will. Right now though he is not playing at the level he needs to be playing at to be the teams starting tackle. AVT however seems to not lose a step coming back from his injury and can still be a valid starter. I'm not down on Becton. I loved the way he manhandled his opponents but he doesn't do that now. Again, I think he will. I think if they can keep him on the cheap they should. What I'm hearing from friends in the NJ area is that AVT looks to be at about 95 percent or better right now. They could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time but it would be uncharacteristic of either of them. O lineman injuries seem to be more prevalent these days, just look at the injury history of two of the top tackle prospects in free agency Smith and Brown. It is unfortunate for players and teams and none of them are a lock to get through the season without missing games. It's how they play when they are on the field that is being evaluated.

Last edited:

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Food for thought:
Penn State's Olu Fashanu and Georgia's Amarius Mims — two popular picks for the Jets in mock drafts — weren't able to finish their drills due to injuries at the combine.
Later

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Food for thought:
Penn State's Olu Fashanu and Georgia's Amarius Mims — two popular picks for the Jets in mock drafts — weren't able to finish their drills due to injuries at the combine.
Later
Fortunately, neither will ever have to run another 40 yard dash, except to beat Douglas to lunch

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

As far as Becton goes, he had a pretty good rookie year and then was injured two years in a row. He played last year and was pretty bad. Where I disagree is about his talent being clear. He can't block speed DE's which most are. He can run block if he gets his hands on you. Becton has brought a lot of this on himself. He cried about switching positions while AVT has played them all except center. Neither were not put in the best position to succeed by virtue of being drafted by the Jets. I also agree you can't trust either Becton or AVT. Becton has a horrible body and will struggle to stay healthy and struggle with his weight for the rest of his career. I wish they both would have worked out, but we need to draft replacements for both.