Jets Draft Picks ?

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I was thoroughly entertained by the comments:hijacked:....

I know both Hyatt and Cy's and are both PITA - smile just kidding! not really :smiley-cool11:... Sack how could you and you want a raise? WT* you sound like my ex-wife wanting more alimony. And then there is Ellas, UC hobs, etc all quite eloquent and logical trying their hardest to keep cool while this poster responds like a petulant child.... and as a final act we JB adding his opinion regarding 3rd party complaints....

Lol all the great personalities on this board displayed at once

HYATT™

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Hyatt, Being the grumpy old man you are, and me being the Alpha NY Jet male, I apologize if I personally offended you in any way.

Pffft!
You know me better than that.
I took it as a compliment that you felt comfortable enough to do it without fearing repercussions.

But, I wasn't wrong to point out the other side of such posts on a board still finding it's way & trying to establish a different identity than either JI or scout.

On the Packers board, which is very strictly moderated by a no-nonsense ex-cop, ALL such ad hominems are quickly quashed, as THE example of violating one of only 2 rules there. (The other rule is ZERO tolerance for criticism of the moderators and their actions in public threads.)
Gimpybutt usually just edits them out and sends off a short PM explaining WHY such action was taken and the consequences of continued use of personal attacks in posts - but he's also aware of personal interactions and would have let something like this one slide as jousting between old friends and trusted others would know that too.

As "elder statesmen", it's up to posters like you and me to set a good example for others.
Let me see if I can bring you around on my draft order.

We KNOW the Jets have lacked a killer pass-rush, able to "bring it home" on a significant number of defensive snaps.
3-4 DEs aren't sack machines, though both Mo & Richardson exceed expectations in that regard.
Still, neither brings it like DE J.J. Watt was doing for HOU or Super Mario for BUF, etc.
Coples & Pace, COMBINED (11.5 sacks), couldn't match the sack production of one of those freak 3-4 DEs, though Mo & Sheldon, (14 sacks), did well enough for 2nd tier pass rushers.
It's time to secure that "killer" pass rush, and reshuffling the LB corps is the fastest and easiest way to do it. No prayer in snowball hell the Jets are going to improve the front 3 DL roster.

The PROBLEM with that idea is that this is a terrible LB draft, especially for 3-4 pass rushing LBs.
A team looking to significantly upgrade a 3-4 pass rush will be forced to go early and go often to "git-'er-dun".
Dupree is the key, as HYATT™ likes to sing, in an off-key voice.

Is he worth a #6 pick?
IMHO he is the best pass-rushing OLB candidate on the board, regardless of the fact he's going to have to convert from DE to OLB in a 3-4.
It's not like he doesn't have experience playing standing up, he's done both in college without a noticeable drop in production - which lends itself even MORE to a Bowles/Rodgers/Pepper Johnson/Collins offset 3-4 front 7 strategy, which Jets fans will be seeing a LOT of this season.
This is a case of value added because of the fit of the player to the system.

Dupree WILL NOT last.
Even after Gregory's "Cheech & Chong" moment, Dupree is still only the 4th ranked 3-4 pass rusher on the board.
With 2 QBs and 2 WRs going early, the odds are he's going to be there at #6 but not much further.
The real problem is Dupree is the 2nd ranked 4-3 DE!
Even if JAX takes Leonard Williams, as everyone expects, Dupree WILL NOT slip past Vic Fangio's rebuild, (and conversion to a 3-4?), in CHI, at #7 - and to make matters even worse, ATL is at #8 and the NYG are at #9 - both in deep need of a 4-3 DE.
Nope, pay the piper or forget Depree.
Jets fans, this "Bud" is for you - at #6.

Cy, your biggest reluctance to acceptance of my prediction is spending 2 of only 6 picks on LBs, let alone the top 2 Jets picks, because you perceive other needs that have to be addressed with "big playmaker" talent early in the draft.
Eli Harold will also be a highly prized OLB for 3-4 DCs.
The question is, will he last until the Jets come around again at #37?
HYATT™ doesn't think so - but if he is, the Jets would be fools to consider any other player at that point.

1.) #3 WR can be addressed with pick #70. One big-body or another will be available. If not Waller, whom HYATT™ values higher than his ranking because of his potential as BOTH a big flanker WR AND as a possession receiver TE, (ala Jimmy Graham), then some other one of over a dozen equally talented tall big-bodied flanker WRs in this draft.
Or, maybe WR isn't a big issue anymore and the #70 pick should be spent on OL or somewhere else - like waterboy/Return guy.

2.) Every GM is going to be thinking the same thoughts, in a draft devoid of blue-chip edge pass-rushers beyond the middle of Rd 1 & chock full to overflowing in good WR talent depth.
How else can you explain a prospect like Danielle Hunter, with all that injury baggage, STILL being ranked in the top (6) 4-3 DEs & the top (6-7) 3-4 OLBs, and expected to be taken by the top quarter of Rd 2?
Honestly, HYATT™ believes Harold won't make it out of Rd 1, but IF he's available at #37, the Jets MUST draft him.
This draft is all about securing depth AND mining diamonds & not many diamonds are going to be found on the defensive side of the ball.

3.) There are no interior offensive linemen that HYATT™ considers worthy of a Rd 1 or top half of Rd 2 grade.
They just aren't there this year.
Even RTs are slim pickings, which is the other position a team might consider worth a #37 pick along the OL. Forget finding a gem LT, they'll be gone in the top 15 picks.
OL is a depth-only and deep diamond mine proposition this year, much like the Packers got extremely lucky in landing LT Bakhtiari in Rd 4 in 2013 and Center Linsley in Rd 5 in 2014.
You couldn't get that lucky if you were the only ticket holder in the lottery, but Terd has that fool's luck given by angels or debbils looking over his shoulder. (Aaron Rodgers at #24, with Favre's brain to pick still around for 3 years? Seriously?)

4.) What position besides WR, QB, or OL is worth a decent Rd 2 pick, for the Jets needs?
They are pretty much set for tall CBs, even in depth, though young prospects are always welcome with Revis and Cro both pacing 30. Still, not worth a #6 or a #37 in THIS year's crop.
Thing is, the Packers always find good CBs in UDFA - THE SHIELD, Tramon Williams, Jumal Rolle, are a few that were UDFAs. GB dumps more quality UDFA CBs each preseason than the Jets have had on their rosters since Revis left.
Hayward and Goodson are the only 2 CBs drafted over the past 8 or 9 years by GB and yet they consistently field one of the top secondaries in the league.

ILB is pretty much secured with Harris and 3 more candidates for the other spot.

Safety got addressed last year with Pryor, & Allen, Gilchrist, Walls, & Dee Milliner, all candidates capable of battling for the other Safety spot.

DL is already secure and has good rotational depth despite losing Ellis.

FB & RB?
There are a ton of decent RBs in this draft, and they aren't valued highly at all, so one will be available late or in the UDFA market.
Same goes for FB - who even uses FBs anymore when you can roster even bigger TEs and get some pass production as well as a bigger body to protect the QB and blow open holes for RBs? (Jets do, but you get my drift.)

TE is a little weak but has good depth with Amaro, Cumberland, Davis, & Sudfield.

All 5 of the Jets OL positions need to be closely watched, but unfortunately unless the Jets are willing to forgo a pass rush and draft a LT or RT high, there is little opportunity for anything more than late round/UDFA diamond mining there.
UDFA will be a place the Jets should be busy looking for OL help in, & devote some serious weeding work to a lot of UDFA prospects early and often - MERCILESSLY, the way Hoodie does it.

What's left?
QB - from a deep field of backup-types and potential serviceable game-managers - ALL available in the late rounds.
That's the thing about QBs - if they don't get taken early, they usually end up in the final 2 rounds or in the UDFA marketplace.
Not a lot of NFL QBs came from late Rd 2 to early Rd 6.
That's just the way it is in the NFL draft with QB "value", but HYATT™ would still like to see at least 2 QBs come to camp from this class because there is no future for Simms in NJ.
Not that GeNOT has much of a future either, as HYATT™ sees it.

So you see?
It's not greed or over-reaction to draft 2 pass rushers early in this draft, it's actually the best use of available resources - based on draft talent and depth at various position, and the competition from other GMs with similar needs being where they are positioned in this draft.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Hyatt, Very well thought out post; however, I'm tired of getting excited about a player, and all the sudden they shoot up the board. Example, I've wanted Cooper the whole time and the Raiders swoop in and snag him, then I get excited about Fowler and pff he's gone ! Then Gregory's caught out back with Josh Gordon burning down, and Beasley jumps before us.

I guess what I'm saying is Alvin Dupree DE 6'4"/267 is a small reach @ #6 and not really exciting me. Cooper, Fowler, Beasley.

Let's shock the NFL and pick Chan Gailey's guy Todd Gurley RB 6'1"/226. Yikes, Gurley, Ivory & Powell. And snag Eli Harold 6'4"/240 OLB @ 37.

Go Jets...Cyborg

HYATT™

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Hyatt, Very well thought out post; however, I'm tired of getting excited about a player, and all the sudden they shoot up the board. Example, I've wanted Cooper the whole time and the Raiders swoop in and snag him, then I get excited about Fowler and pff he's gone ! Then Gregory's caught out back with Josh Gordon burning down, and Beasley jumps before us.

I guess what I'm saying is Alvin Dupree DE 6'4"/267 is a small reach @ #6 and not really exciting me. Cooper, Fowler, Beasley.

Let's shock the NFL and pick Chan Gailey's guy Todd Gurley RB 6'1"/226. Yikes, Gurley, Ivory & Powell. And snag Eli Harold 6'4"/240 OLB @ 37.

Go Jets...Cyborg
What would you think of this draft if they sacrificed everything else and came away with ONLY Dupree, Harold, & 1 of the big flanker WRs - and trusted that they could bolster every other position with UDFAs (including a couple of QBs) or JAG UFAs?

Dead serious Cy, I just do not believe Harold makes it to #37 but #6 would be too big of a reach.
I DO believe they could move up to get Harold too, if they sacrificed Rd 4 & the 2 Rd 7 picks, saving the Rd 3 pick at #70 for a WR or OL.

NYJETSDAN16

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Round one: Kevin White-We Need a young bonafide WR

Round two: Bryce Petty-Need a true QB to groom in a offensive Chan Gailey style that this QB is all familiar with.

Round three: Duke Johnson-This RB will be a steal at the position. He wrecks havok with his violent but elusive running style.

THE BIG THREE CAN CHANGE THIS FRANCHISE FOR YEARS TO COME.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Dan, Great presentation of your mock draft with the videos. Who picks out the music to these video's ? Listen to White's video, yikes !

Go Jets...Cyborg

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Round one: Kevin White-We Need a young bonafide WR

Round two: Bryce Petty-Need a true QB to groom in a offensive Chan Gailey style that this QB is all familiar with.

Round three: Duke Johnson-This RB will be a steal at the position. He wrecks havok with his violent but elusive running style.

THE BIG THREE CAN CHANGE THIS FRANCHISE FOR YEARS TO COME.

I like the picks, but what about LB? We've got Pace, Babin, and Coples. Coples might have his hand in the dirt in Bowles' defense. We need a young OLB in the first three picks.

HYATT™

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I like the picks, but what about LB? We've got Pace, Babin, and Coples. Coples might have his hand in the dirt in Bowles' defense. We need a young OLB in the first three picks.
As HYATT™ has tried to present logically, if the Jets wait until #70 to draft an OLB, they'll end up with nothing better than Coples, Babin, or Pace - in which case, what's the point?

Good to great pass-rushing 3-4 OLBs are not all that common to begin with and this draft is particularly weak in depth on all LB prospect lists, not just 3-4 pass rushing OLBs.

Only 13 OLB prospects carry a Rd 1 or Rd 2 grade in either defensive system, pass rushers or not, which most aren't but rather viewed as run stuffers - and only 6 more are graded out as worth a Rd 3 pick.

DEs that MIGHT be convertable present just 6 choices, and 3 of them aren't really suitable to be converted to OLB, based on their college experience & production.

That's one OLB for about HALF of the NFL's teams, worthy of being taken before Rd 4.
For a 3-4 team to come away with a PAIR of pass-rushing prospects, (to cover their arse-gone-wrong, if nothing else), would take some incredible GM wheeling and dealing.

NYJETSDAN16

Jet Fanatics

I think the Jets did enough to solidify the defense in years past in the draft, it's time to overhaul the offense.
Also, Mac improved the defense by far this off season. I feel with the cover guys we have and a stout d-Line, our OLB can get by this year and can be addressed in '16 off season/draft.

We have to start building the core on offense, especially in this draft.

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Rd 1 pick #6 : CB Trae Waynes Michigan St or OL Brandon Schreff Iowa
Rd 2 pick #37: OT DJ Humphries Florida
Rd 3 pick #70: OLB Lyndon Trail Norfolk St
Rd 4 pick #104: S Jaquiski Taitt Samford
Rd 7 pick #223: TE Cys Porsche UNC
Rd 7 pick #224: RB Marguez Davis Air Force Academy

HYATT™

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
TE Cys Porsche UNC
:roflmao:

cysporche
40 Low: 5.57
40 Average Time: 6.21
40 High: 6.49

Vertical 11"
Broad jump: 1 Puerto Rican granny
3-cone: Chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla
20 split shuttle: OUCH! New pair of trousers and some ice, please.

NYJETSDAN16

Jet Fanatics
Dan, Great presentation of your mock draft with the videos. Who picks out the music to these video's ? Listen to White's video, yikes !

Go Jets...Cyborg

LOL, i have no idea and i gotta be honest, i shut the music off all the time as i just can't stand all the BS lyrics that society allows to become mainstream.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I was thoroughly entertained by the comments:hijacked:....

I know both Hyatt and Cy's and are both PITA - smile just kidding! not really :smiley-cool11:... Sack how could you and you want a raise? WT* you sound like my ex-wife wanting more alimony. And then there is Ellas, UC hobs, etc all quite eloquent and logical trying their hardest to keep cool while this poster responds like a petulant child.... and as a final act we JB adding his opinion regarding 3rd party complaints....

Not sure what PITA means ? LOL

Go Jets...Cyborg

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Rd 1 pick #6 : CB Trae Waynes Michigan St
Rd 2 pick #37: OT DJ Humphries Florida
Rd 3 pick #70: OLB Lyndon Trail Norfolk St
Rd 4 pick #104: S Jaquiski Taitt Samford
Rd 7 pick #223: TE Cys Porsche UNC
Rd 7 pick #224: RB Marguez Davis Air Force Academy

If we took a CB with the 6th overall pick, there'd probably be a riot in NY/NJ. I'm not even sure Waynes is great value there. I like him, but not for us and not at 6.

Revis, Cro, Skrine, Waynes? He'd be a dime back.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
HYATT™;24786 said:
:roflmao:

cysporche
40 Low: 5.57
40 Average Time: 6.21
40 High: 6.49

Vertical 11"
Broad jump: 1 Puerto Rican granny
3-cone: Chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla
20 split shuttle: OUCH! New pair of trousers and some ice, please.

Cy, this seems like a challenge to me. You need to make a video and post it here and prove once and for all that you are more physically capable then a granny :).

M

Mainejet

Any mock draft in 2015 that lacks a QB as one of their picks is completely insane. The Jets MUST take a QB. That is the only way this team will ever get better. They also must draft a QB because they need to give the fans something to look forward to.

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
If we took a CB with the 6th overall pick, there'd probably be a riot in NY/NJ. I'm not even sure Waynes is great value there. I like him, but not for us and not at 6.

Revis, Cro, Skrine, Waynes? He'd be a dime back.

Do you actually think Cromartie will be here beyond this 1 year? Who do we have besides Revis and Skrine? Miiliner and McDougal are walking wounded and may never be more then a backup. The 6th pick is BPA. Not in your mind or Mel Kipers, but in the mind of our GM. Last year it was a given that we would select a WR. The year before it was a given that we will not take a DL. Cromartie is not a Revis. As much as a OLB is needed and even though we spent close to 150 million on CB's, What does Bowles use a good deal of the time on Defense, 4-7 DB's. IMHO I believe our pick will either be a CB or OL unless our GM goes for Mariotta.

HYATT™

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Cy, this seems like a challenge to me. You need to make a video and post it here and prove once and for all that you are more physically capable then a granny :).
Yer not thinking smutty enough brutha.
cy has a fondness for island sweeties - aka "broad" jumped - as in, he diddled 1 at his Pro Day.
Did I really just have to explain that joke? What AM I coming to?

PitA = Pain in the Arse, cy.

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
HYATT™;24891 said:
Yer not thinking smutty enough brutha.
cy has a fondness for island sweeties - aka "broad" jumped - as in, he diddled 1 at his Pro Day.
Did I really just have to explain that joke? What AM I coming to?

PitA = Pain in the Arse, cy.

Hyatt, Cy actually was doing well in the 40 ft dash till his dentures fell out, but this was at the Combine. His UNC Pro day is coming up and I am sure he will impress you Hyatt as soon as the ice packs come off from the 20 split shuttle. I've heard he is working out with Amari Cooper.