Fear The Walking Dead Series Premiere Episode Discussion (SPOILERS)

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't watched tonight's series premiere episode of Fear The Walking Dead, don't read any further!

Spinoffs can be either hit or miss but in most cases they're colossal failures and there are several reasons for this. For starters, the cast ensemble is almost always never as good as the original even if some characters from the parent show crossover to the spinoff. It's hard for an audience to commit to a new core set of characters when they are so heavily invested in the fates of those in which they have an already established connection to. Now of course, this isn't always the case. If a spinoff's premise is as good as it's parent show, then maybe, just maybe, the show can stand alone and be successful in it's own right. Fear The Walking Dead is a spinoff of the hugely popular The Walking Dead, with an entirely new set of characters and a premise strikingly similar to its parent show. On the surface, Fear The Walking Dead, has the makings of becoming an epic failure BUT, I am not ready to make a judgment on it just yet. I will say that this spinoff has potential and here's why:

The show is set in Los Angeles at the start of the outbreak that has devastated the world on The Walking Dead. For the first time, viewers will get a chance to see how the world initially reacted to walkers and conversely to the parent show it won't be in small scale environments. I for one cannot wait for to see how the walkers lay siege to city like L.A. and the government's response to this outbreak. What struck me the most about the setting of Fear The Walking Dead was the visual contrast between the darkness that pervades the parent show on a daily basis versus the darkness that is masked within a city that is so bright and vibrant like L.A.

The writing of Fear The Walking Dead, in my opinion, has also not lost a beat. I really enjoyed how the writers used a drug addict's perspective to unveil the impending apocalypse. It works within the context of the show because no one would believe that walkers were real so it is quite ingenious to have a drug addict be the one to uncover the first known walker and in essence become the show's voice of reason.

I also liked how the show immediately begins to question humanity and what it means to be human. The first scene and initial walker attack takes place in a church which echoes much of the parent show's views on religion and whether morality and ethics plays a role within a post-apocalyptic world. There's also a scene that takes place within a classroom where the protagonist of the show questions his students about the role of man within nature and the message he delivers is that "nature always wins." Little does he know, how right he is.

What I didn't like about the series premiere of Fear The Walking Dead is that the characters are hard to relate to. I don't know about you but I really can't find it in me to care about a drug addict. I also find it super cliche that the parent of said drug addict is a guidance counselor who's main job is to prevent teens from drug and alcohol abuse. The other aspect of the show that is driving me crazy is how damn slow paced it is. I knew from interviews that it would be and often times than not so is The Walking Dead but if AMC wants the show to succeed then it needs to move just a tad bit quicker.

Overall, I am personally going to stick it out, at least for season one. It's only six episodes and then the original returns for season six.

What's your verdict on Fear The Walking Dead? Talk the walk. Walker 2

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
great breakdown as always teach, you hit on literary everything i found noteworthy..

the pace for a 90 minute premier (with only 6 episodes in season 1) was maddening but overall i believe FTWD can be a strong spinoff..

i also liked the overall tone of the show.. different but the same if that makes sense..

no theme song worked for me as well.. as in they didn't even try to compete with TWD's already iconic intro..

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
great breakdown as always teach, you hit on literary everything i found noteworthy..

the pace for a 90 minute premier (with only 6 episodes in season 1) was maddening but overall i believe FTWD can be a strong spinoff..

i also liked the overall tone of the show.. different but the same if that makes sense..

no theme song worked for me as well.. as in they didn't even try to compete with TWD's already iconic intro..

I feel like the tone was more ominous than TWD's and the music was perfect on FTWD. It was a perfect build up of suspense and the fact that we know more about what's going on than the characters is an interesting twist to this genre.

I read that the show was going to move slow like this for the first season which is fine since it's only six episodes but I'm worried people will tune out but maybe I'm wrong. We shall see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
I feel like the tone was more ominous than TWD's and the music was perfect on FTWD. It was a perfect build up of suspense and the fact that we know more about what's going on than the characters is an interesting twist to this genre.

I read that the show was going to move slow like this for the first season which is fine since it's only six episodes but I'm worried people will tune out but maybe I'm wrong. We shall see!

a "slow burn" pace is definitely a calculated risk (at least with fringe viewers) but as long as the writing remains strong i believe FTWD will be successful.. i'm already hooked.. LOLz go figure!!

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
a "slow burn" pace is definitely a calculated risk (at least with fringe viewers) but as long as the writing remains strong i believe FTWD will be successful.. i'm already hooked.. LOLz go figure!!

I can't wait for the government response to the outbreak. We saw a little of it in the premiere but I'm waiting for full scale panic!

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
I can't wait for the government response to the outbreak. We saw a little of it in the premiere but I'm waiting for full scale panic!

i believe i read the show isn't going to delve to deeply into the government's involvement.. i hope they do because i agree it would be ripe material for the very beginning of the apocalypse..

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
i believe i read the show isn't going to delve to deeply into the government's involvement.. i hope they do because i agree it would be ripe material for the very beginning of the apocalypse..

Even if it's in the periphery, it'll be something.

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
The slow pace is intended for character development.
We had to get some idea about the new characters, who and what their all-about
Also it was all intentional to show a " normal " world going bad. That's what it's all about.
I liked it.
Just wondering where all our church zombies and Gloria disappeared too?

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I'm not sure why everyone was waiting breathlessly for this show.
If you wanted to satisfy your Zombie fix, you could have been watching MFY reporter Sweeny Murti.
If he doesn't look like a Zombie, I don't know who does.

Later

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
The slow pace is intended for character development.
We had to get some idea about the new characters, who and what their all-about
Also it was all intentional to show a " normal " world going bad. That's what it's all about.
I liked it.
Just wondering where all our church zombies and Gloria disappeared too?

I can see how the slow pace is intended for character development but I found it incredibly difficult to connect to any of the main characters and I didn't feel this way with The Walking Dead when it premiered. Idk, I will have to give it more time...

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
I can see how the slow pace is intended for character development but I found it incredibly difficult to connect to any of the main characters and I didn't feel this way with The Walking Dead when it premiered. Idk, I will have to give it more time...

remember teach, because you know this better than most.. TWD is based on incredibly rich source material from the cómics.. FTWD obviously doesn't have that luxury..

but like you said, let's give it some time..

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
remember teach, because you know this better than most.. TWD is based on incredibly rich source material from the cómics.. FTWD obviously doesn't have that luxury..

but like you said, let's give it some time..

You're right, perhaps I'm being too critical

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
You're right, perhaps I'm being too critical

the more i think about season 1 being only 6 episodes the more it makes sense.. if the writers/actors can get us to the finale wanting to watch season 2 they did their jobs..

after watching the 1st episode (twice) i've gone from cautiously optimistic to optimistic..

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Just finished watching it. Thought it was really really good. Did drag on a bit but it had to if it was going to try to make us care about the story. Not going to pass judgment yet on the entire series until the end of the first season.

I don't expect much action from here on out. I expect more running and exploring to take us through the first season.

Very suspenseful for a movie that not much action took place.

Like jetgreen and teachdown, I am curious to see the government involvement during this incident. It'll also be interesting to see how the drug addiction interferes with the characters throughout the show.

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Just finished watching it. Thought it was really really good. Did drag on a bit but it had to if it was going to try to make us care about the story. Not going to pass judgment yet on the entire series until the end of the first season.

I don't expect much action from here on out. I expect more running and exploring to take us through the first season.

Very suspenseful for a movie that not much action took place.

Like jetgreen and teachdown, I am curious to see the government involvement during this incident. It'll also be interesting to see how the drug addiction interferes with the characters throughout the show.

I agree with what you said about the suspense factor of FTWD. The pacing and the music worked in that aspect. It's a good buildup, let's hope that the payoff is worth the suspense!

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
[MENTION=45]jetgreen13[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]Elias[/MENTION]

Did you guys hear about this? Apparently AMC is developing a stand alone story that will air between season 1 and season 2 of FTWD. It's supposed to take place on plane that's headed towards LAX as the outbreak is starting in LA. It will introduce a new character that will join season 2 of FWTD. Here's the link: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28/walking-dead-airline

What do you think about this? To quote Samuel L Jackson, "these mother fucking zombies on this mother fucking plane!"

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
[MENTION=45]jetgreen13[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]Elias[/MENTION]

Did you guys hear about this? Apparently AMC is developing a stand alone story that will air between season 1 and season 2 of FTWD. It's supposed to take place on plane that's headed towards LAX as the outbreak is starting in LA. It will introduce a new character that will join season 2 of FWTD. Here's the link: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28/walking-dead-airline

What do you think about this? To quote Samuel L Jackson, "these mother fucking zombies on this mother fucking plane!"

Is this going to be another mini-series? They are milking this cow to the fullest.

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
I think it's going to be a 1/2 hour stand alone episode to introduce the premise and then from what the article says, they are going to show scenes during the commercials of TWD when it starts in October...

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think it's going to be a 1/2 hour stand alone episode to introduce the premise and then from what the article says, they are going to show scenes during the commercials of TWD when it starts in October...

Thanks. I clearly missed that there was a link in your post!